Monday, March 16, 2009

Ok this one is a bit of a stretch from town, butttttttttttt

Do any of you remember Moondog? I remember him as a young child. He used to live up on the mountain in a cave. He would come downtown to catch a bus with his "wife" to NYC to perform. My dad used to take me up there. Several years ago my Mom and I went up there looking for traces of the cave. I knocked on a door figuring these folks are going to think I'm nuts, but I'll ask anyway. I said "Have you ever heard of a man named Moondog who lived up her in a cave?" The woman looked at me and said YES. ;)) I was delighted. But anyway they were relative newcomers to the area but had heard of him. Mom and I got out of the car looking at the land nearby but acrossed the street. We did find something that could have been a cave to the underground, but had since been filled in. So goes the legend of Moondog. I wondered if he may actually have been a Native American. Recently I've read the Minsi's lived in caves....... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the mystery goes on.....

3 comments:

  1. if moondog had a cave it was a root celler. i remember logs and what looked like canvas in a tent shape. his place was up on rt 579 near the little york/ pattenberg road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pieman who are you? I don't see you listed in our group?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No this was much further South than Pattenburg. I'm thinking now it was on Maj. Stout road? I'm not sure I have the name right. I'm starting to forget all the areas around home. ;(

    ReplyDelete