Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hi friend from Bloomsbury

Hi all! I would never have known about this site if my brother, Dale Gardner, hadn't let me know about it. I was so thrilled to see it. Linda, thank you so much for starting it. Donna, I so enjoyed your precious story about my sweet brothers... we were very poor and I just said to my husband, Bob, I wonder where in the world they got the nickel, and he reminded me that they used to run all over the town selling Dainty potato chips... an old man (he was probably my age now), Mr. Sutton, who lived next to my Grammy and Grampy Gardner, used to buy about eight bags a week to feed his cats... my brothers loved going there... lol... anyway, as I learn how to use this site (I don't even text, I'm an old fashioned fart, although I work on a computer all day at work) I will share some stories and I really enjoy reading all of yours... Love and good health to all of you... Jackie Gardner DeWire... and yes, I'm still married to my fifth grade sweetheart, Bob DeWire...

6 comments:

  1. FOR SOME OLD HISTORY FROM THE 50's, SEE 2009
    FEB 09 (1)
    MEMORIES

    POSTED ON MAR 25, 2009

    STILL GOING AT 72.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, is that Bobby DeWire whose mother was a teacher at Bloomsbury Elementary School? I remember her boys were very cute but I'm not sure of their names! If so, I will share a little tidbit about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometime soon I will add my own story about me selling potato chips around town after my older brothers "retired" from potato chips sales. Yea, I have some memories about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had contacted the town in re this website. I had hoped they would advertise it in the newsletters. I know Jack Letcher is the Town Historian. I hope Terry will join us and perhaps we can be of some assistance to each other in piecing together a fuller history of the town. I'm not trying to detract from his hard work and certainly have expeienced a much different life than he did there. I don't know of any way of putting the page in any search engines. Anyone have more knowledge than me? Any help is welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie you and Dale mentioned being poor. I never saw any of the kids in our town as poor. We had nothing to compare our lives with that was any different. We were just all the children of blue coller workers. We were all pretty well on the same rung of the ladder. The only others around us worked farms. Living in the country like that was a real blessings. And yes we were rich in so many other ways. We were "tight" with our "gang".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, my husband's mom taught at the Bloomsbury School... and yes, he's cute... lol... a little less hair and not as dark... a lot of gray, but he's still my cutie... yeah, Linda, we were rich in so many ways, but i remember using an outhouse for quite a while and my mom really scrimping and scraping to get by... but I always remember Christmas morning there were tons of gifts under the tree...

    ReplyDelete