Sunday, January 17, 2010

How I Learned I Was Rich


I don't remember Ace Price as being very well off financially but Ace was rich in life enjoying the way he lived. Ace often took the time in the summer to setup tents down along the Musconetcong behind his house for camping out and night fishing with a lot of us kids. We always had a nice campfire going and totally enjoyed just being there and fishing for anything we would catch. What we did catch most often were small Shiners which are a small bony fish and something most wouldn't think of eating. As we would catch the Shiners we would throw them in a bucket of water until we had enough for everyone to cook on the wood fire. We would then clean them and rinse them off in the river. Every one of us would go around and find a stick to poke through our fish so we could hold it in the fire to cook it. As we would all be crouched around the fire cooking our fish I remember Ace often saying, "I wonder what the poor people are doing right now." I honestly believe that Ace meant every word of that statement because we were all rich in life totally enjoying what we were doing. Those fish were probably one of the most disgusting things you could ever eat yet at that time I would say we enjoyed them more then I would enjoy a Filet Mignon today. I got married very young and believe me, I went through some really tough times where I was very poor financially yet was able to find things I enjoyed doing and often said to myself, "I wonder what the poor people are doing right now." Thank You Ace!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute Dale. ;) I'm sure he's smiling down on you today.
    One suggestion please. When we discuss the people of Bloomsbury could you put it under a label of Neighbors as well. I think if we do that it will make lookup easier. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale, that was such a sweet story that I wasn't even aware of. I remember you used to take me over on the island to fish and we'd be pulling them in left and right. I just love fishing with you... do you remember it? Love you Jack

    ReplyDelete