Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dave Wilson & Mickey, Penny Candy Store, Russamano's Barber Shop, Emery's Steak Shop


I concur with Jackie that it seems almost impossible to locate this site unless someone actually sends you the link. I don't know how all that works but maybe Linda knows how to remedy that. The site is certainly a welcomed one; it just needs to be easier to find.

If Jimmy Gardner was called Whitey, then Dale should have been called Smiley. I don't think we ever saw him without a big grin on his face. It tickles me to see his pictures.

I remember Dave Wilson riding his brown and white horse Mickey through town, and us walking down to his farm hoping someone would give us a ride. Occasionally we got lucky in that regard.

I also remember Eddie Henshaw's (sp?) Penny Candy Store that was a few doors up from Wheeler's Market. I would go there to buy red licorice shoe strings -- I think they were about five strings for a penny -- not sure. And Kitts candy that came in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. And Blackjack, Clark's Teaberry and Clove gum -- all things that my dad didn't sell in his store.

In later years, Emery's opened a steak shop in the apartment building between Sheets and Gardner's and Herman Russamano's Barber Shop. Mostly the boys in town would use the fence in front of Russamano's as a gathering place. I guess they couldn't get in too much trouble there because it was a center point of town and everyone could see what they were doing.

7 comments:

  1. Donna, some of the places you listed in your post I had forgotten about but do remember them now that you reminded me.

    As for your comment about me smiling so much, that is something that has been said to me often all through the years. The good thing is, no one ever knew what I was thinking with that big smile on my face. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the great granddaughter of Eddie Hyndshaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I remember going out to Wilson's farm and I think it was Dave's father who loved to squirt us with the cow's milk and hear us scream... lol... he would also let us milk the cow with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meagan I know Shelly is living in the Hyndshaw building. Is it still in the family? For those who may not know Shelly is the daughter of Curt Steinmetz and Doris Randals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, you mentioned Curt Steinmetz... I see him often. I work for the Hunterdon County Prosecutor's Office.. and a lot of retired state troopers are security guards when we enter the court house .. Curt is one of them... he often asks me about my family, especially my dad, he looks great and I always ask him about Doris.. I'm not sure but I think my mom told me that Doris used to babysit once in a while for us... he's doing well and so is Doris....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emery's Steak Shop had the best ice cream. Remember the Neopolitan slab that was put on a double cone?

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes Linda Shelly lives in that house, so far 4 generations, 3 then it was sold and bought by someone in between, then shelly bought it back!!

    ReplyDelete